Wednesday, February 7, 2018

"Beauty, Art, and God" - Inspirational Weekend


Butterflies make me smile... even when watching them on You Tube.  Recently I again visited Foster Botanical Gardens here in Honolulu and there were a large group of Monarchs flying everywhere among the flowers in the special butterfly garden found there.   It was very extraordinary to be standing among them and attempting to photograph them as they fluttered about all around me. My photograph above was the only one that came out after taking many shots; all but this one were very blurry.   

Butterflies are precious and oh so lovely.  There are many varieties to be found all over the world.   The good Lord is truly a magnificent Creator; there is much variety in the animal world and the flower kingdom as well as also in the beautiful scenery on this earth.   Yahweh is an artist on a grand scale !   And creation testifies that He loves beauty.  

"Out of Zion, the perfection of beauty, God hath shined."  -  Psalm 50:2

God's holiness is beautiful, and we are to "worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness"         (Psalm 29:2;  1 Chronicles 16:29).  


"For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them."  -  Ephesians 2:10

The Greek word for "workmanship"  sometimes has the connotation of a "work of art."   So we believers can be like a work of art, when we allow Yahweh to mold us and shape us into useful vessels for His honor and His glory.  We are His creation; we are made exactly as He wants us to be.  God recreates our hearts with a desire and yearning for what is good, with the result that our lives are changed.  We begin to "hunger and thirst after righteousness"  (Matthew 5:6).

Please read Ephesians 2:1-10.  Verses 8 and 9 make it clear that we are not saved by works, but by grace through faith.

"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God.  Not of works, lest any man should boast."      Ephesians 2: 8-9

So when Ephesians 2:10 says...."created in Christ Jesus unto good works", it does not mean good works are the roots from which salvation grows but instead the fruit God intends it to bear.   In other words, God has not saved us because of our good works, but He has saved us to do good works, with His help and guidance.  This brings glory to Him. We should be so grateful for our salvation that good works flow naturally from a heart full of love and appreciation.


The first mention of art in the Bible is found in Exodus 31, where God instructs Moses to create a tent for the ark of the covenant.  God mentions several skillful artists to help create designs to beautify the tent.  Evidently the Lord is desirous of man to create beautiful things; and of course He gives them the ability to do so.  It follows that He desires beauty.  Any beauty that we create, whether we be a fine artist, a musician or a craftsman of any type, our creation should glorify our heavenly Creator.

As an artist myself, beauty was always my main inspiration.  I cannot understand some of the vulgarity that passes for art these days.  One painting of mine in particular was especially created for God's glory; it is rich in symbolism:


The title of this oil on canvas is "Forget Me Not".  Those are forget-me-not flowers on the teacup and saucer and the Bible is there to remind you to not forget God and His Word.  The glasses are just an emphasis to read His Holy Word.  Only Jesus can bring true peace, and thus the yellow peace rose, which is in a vase filled with living water.   The red rose symbolizes Jesus' shed blood, which brings redemption to those who believe in Him and in His resurrection.  This painting was created entirely with the Lord in mind.

I always intended to create more works in a similar theme, but one day a little over 2 years ago as I was painting and listening to a CD sermon at the same time, I felt convicted.  I was spending hours upon hours painting with a passion, but what was I actually doing for the good Lord?  How much time did I give Him and how much witnessing for Him was I doing in comparison?   I felt guilt and shame and sorrow.   I was living too much for my art, and not spending enough time doing the Lord's work.  I took some time off from painting and began reading the Bible constantly, and doing research online with commentaries on Bible verses.  I began to pray more frequently and I drew closer to the Lord as a result.

I am not saying all this to brag on myself.  I guess you could say I am bragging on the Lord and all He has done in my life.  He inspired me to begin writing spiritual content on this blog.  I felt I could reach more people through my writing than through my painting.   My passion began to be focused more on the Lord and endeavoring to do His will.   Even more so as I realized that the Lord could return at any time and people needed to be told that we are living in the last days and to be ready for His return.

God changed me. 

His will is what is most important in my life right now.

Life is short.

"Only what's done for Christ will last."


Have a blessed and Christ-filled weekend !


"Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it."    -  Matthew 7:14

"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life."   -   John 3:16

"Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying,  I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life."     -  John 8:12





No comments:

Post a Comment