Sunday, March 25, 2012

Hawaiian Red Jungle Fowl


This is a handsome fellow - Hawaiian Red Jungle Fowl - I photographed on the island of Kauai.   Most of the true red jungle fowl are found on Kauai, primarily at Koke'e State Park and Alaka'i Swamp.  They are shy birds of dense rain forests.    They were brought to Hawaii by the first Polynesians and are called "Moa" in Hawaiian.   They are not as widespread now, and many have bred with other chickens so a true red jungle fowl is hard to find.   There are some feral jungle fowl on Oahu and the other main islands.   



Sometimes it seems like there are more wild roosters and chickens on the islands than there are people !   You see them almost everywhere, and some are so use to humans that they are almost tame.   Below is a painting of mine of a not so wild rooster that I photographed  right on the beach at Hanauma Bay on Oahu.  One of his female companions thoughtfully laid an egg right in front of me while I took photos !  I am not inclined to eat their eggs, however, and they say the wild chickens themselves are pretty tough to eat cooked.   

"Hanauma Bay Resident"
12" x 16" Acrylic on gallery wrap canvas
Available painting

I have only painted one red jungle fowl, and that was a miniature and can be found at my other blog by going here  .   I intend to paint more jungle fowl and other roosters in the future.


3 comments:

  1. so that's what it is called in your side of the world. very interesting :) for us we simply call it 'manok'. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting! The Hawaiian name for it is "Moa"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this article because you present the very informative facts of Red Jungle Fowl. I also like this Red Jungle Fowl wallpaper that you place here.

    ReplyDelete