Saturday, May 25, 2013

Colorful Ti Plant


I photographed these gorgeous Ti plants at a nearby Lowe's store here in Honolulu.  I am partial to the red shades of this evergreen plant, but they are all very lovely and grow to about 13 feet tall.  The proper name is 
Cordyline Fruticosa and they are a member of the Asparagus family.   I did a little research today on this plant which is native throughout Polynesia; there is interesting information on Wikipedia and other sources. It was probably brought to the Hawaiian islands around 300-500 A.D. by the Polynesians that settled here, as they brought many seeds, tubers, and roots with them.  Check out more of my photographs below.

I am not sure, but I think this Ti plant was labelled "Red Tip" at Lowe's

"Ruby"

"Electra"  (?)



The other day on this blog I posted this photo of my Ti plant in a container on my patio.  I am not sure of its name, but it has grown a lot and is now in a 16" pot.   For those of you not living in a tropical climate, this plant may be grown indoors as it tolerates partial shade as well as full sun.   The more sun, the richer the color in the red and burgundy shades.   From March to November the Ti plant has small blossoms of white, cream and tan.  Mine has not bloomed yet.  By the way, Hawaiians pronounce it "Tea" leaf plant.  In Florida and other places it is called "Tie" plant.   

I may post more photos of this beautiful plant in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment