Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Memories To Treasure


In a troubled world like today, we all need special moments and memories to treasure; tender moments that are difficult to explain adequately in words.   They are felt more in the heart and soul; a brief moment that can melt even the most "proper" and reserved person's heart and that makes them feel blessed and they want the moment to last forever.

I felt like that recently when my son and grandson paid me a nice long visit at my place.  My 3 year old grandson met me holding a bouquet of flowers, which are pictured above.  To me it was a precious sight to see them happy and so loving; my grandson holding the flowers and handing them to me as if he had bought them....actually, he did pick out the bouquet himself.

My mind flashed back to the past when my son was around 12 years old and he woke me up one morning with a tray on which was a scrambled egg breakfast he had cooked for me, complete with a flower on the tray which he had picked from a neighbor's yard !   Breakfast in bed.  Another extraordinary moment and memory to treasure in my heart.  It was momentous because my son was displaying his love in a way that came from his heart.

"Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is His reward."  -  Psalm 127:3

God shows grace and love in giving us children and grandchildren. I even have two great-grandchildren, who live on the mainland.  It grieves me that we do not have a stronger bond because of the years and the miles that have separated us....kept us from building a relationship like I would desire to have.  My great-grandchildren are still young, however.   I must be content, for now, by loving them from a distance.  That is also true of my grown granddaughters and my daughter. Maybe, in time, we will live closer together. 

"Hope is the anchor of the soul made possible by our acceptance of God's Grace."  -  Unknown

It seems I am getting more and more sentimental and mellow as I age. I realize I won't live that much longer (unless the Rapture comes first), and every moment spent with loved ones is very special indeed.  My son, his wife, and my grandson are the only family I have with me here in Hawaii.  My daughter-in-law will soon have a baby girl as well.  More joy!

When I was younger, I didn't possess such tender feelings; probably because I was never shown much love as a child and I didn't know how to express love.   

I am very grateful for the good Lord and how He has transformed my heart and my mind and my soul.  There is power in the blood of Jesus !  He can make you brand new!   (2 Corinthians 5:17)

Romans 12:1-2 says it beautifully: "(1) I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. (2) And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God."

When I read those verses several years ago, I realized that I needed to renew my mind by reading the Bible.  You are what you feed yourself...and that applies to taking in spiritual food as well.  Of course, you need to spend much time in prayer also to develop a close, intimate, personal relationship with the Lord. That will enable you to live a more holy life. 

"Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:"   -  Hebrews 12:14


Those of you reading this that are Christians are aware of these truths.   However, we all need to be reminded to focus on the Lord first and foremost because we live in a fallen world and it is easy to be influenced by it at times; easy to be so busy with everyday work, chores, and meetings and taking the children to this event or that activity, that we do not take time to be with the Lord.   We need quiet times in reflection and prayer and Bible reading to be pleasing to God and to draw close to Him. It also refreshes us.   Reflecting on how the heavenly Father loves us and guides us and forgives us is very special indeed. How He has answered prayers and blessed us and how He has made a way where there was no way are truly treasured memories to constantly ponder and meditate on.   Doing so strengthens our faith.   

"As the Father hath loved Me, so have I loved you: continue ye in My love.  If ye keep My commandments, ye shall abide in My love; even as I have kept My Father's commandments, and abide in His love."     -   Jesus at John 15:9-10

"And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us.  God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him."  -  1 John 4:16

It is all about love.

It is also about relationships.

Go make some memories to treasure.

Especially store up memories where God's love is concerned; His forgiveness and protection and His providing for you and so much more.

Share the love and the Gospel with others, making disciples.

Build up for yourself treasures in heaven.  


"But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:  For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also."     - Jesus at Matthew 6:20-21



No comments:

Post a Comment